“What kind of crossover things can you do to take (science) to them?”Dr. Becky Smethurst
Making science more accessible to everyone. That’s the mission of this week’s guest on The Videocraft Show Presented By Video Husky.
Dr. Becky Smethurst is an astrophysicist and junior research fellow at the University of Oxford in England. Her studies focus primarily on galaxies, supermassive black holes, and their interactions with each other.
She’s also found a second life educating viewers about science on YouTube. Dr. Becky makes videos with the aim of tackling our biggest questions about space, astronomy, and more in a way that’s fun and easy to understand.
Dr. Becky authored and published her first book Space: 10 Things You Should Know with Penguin Random House in 2020. She’s also won numerous awards, including most recently the Mary Somerville Medal and Prize from the Institute of Physics as well as the Caroline Herschel Prize for Lectureship in 2020.
In this episode, Dr. Becky speaks with host Jon Santiago about:
- The importance of curiosity in her career as a scientist (and where it comes from)
- The years of practice it took for her to become comfortable with presenting ideas
- How creating videos as a YouTuber fits into her career as a scientist
- Her approach to reaching and engaging new audiences
- How she thinks about internet fame and responsibility as a creator with a platform
And much more…
Sick of wasting time editing your own videos? Video Husky provides you access to a dedicated team of talented editors who can help. If you're not happy, we have a 30-day, action-based money-back guarantee. Click the button to take a short quiz and find out if Video Husky is right for you.Take the Quiz
- Dr. Becky on YouTube
- Dr. Becky on Instagram
- Dr. Becky’s book – Space: The 10 Things You Should Know
- Sixty Symbols YouTube channel
- DeepSkyVideos YouTube channel
Stay Up-to-Date with The Videocraft Show
If you enjoy the show, subscribe to our email list. It’s the best way to stay up-to-date with The Videocraft Show and all the content we’re creating.