“I’m a super small YouTuber…but I’ll still go places like Yosemite and get recognized by people… Knowing that you’re kind of taking your children into that realm of people knowing who they are…it’s something that you have to think about a lot. It’s hard to know what the right decision is to make with that in terms of limiting the amount of exposure…”Josh McNair
Josh McNair is the creator behind California Through My Lens, a YouTube channel and blog centered around travel in the Golden State. It’s Josh’s love letter to his home state and chronicles all the best hikes, drives, food, and more that California has to offer.
California Through My Lens began as a passion project that Josh started to fulfill his desire to create something he owned. It was also his way to document his short, but inexpensive weekend trips around California while encouraging others to do the same.
On YouTube alone, it has generated more than 28 million views from people all across the globe. It’s also earned attention from press outlets such as the LA Times, SF Gate, and Good Morning America.
On this episode of The Videocraft Show Presented By Video Husky, Jon Santiago chats with Josh about:
- How California Through My Lens evolved from photoblog into YouTube channel.
- How his style of traveling and vlogging will have to evolve now that he has kids.
- His process behind creating a long-form documentary on traveling Route 66 with his dad.
- The importance of practicing humility as a content creator.
- Balancing the private and public-facing side of his life as a creator.
And much more…
Sick of wasting time editing your own videos? Video Husky provides you access to a dedicated team of talented editors who can help.
If you’re not happy, we have a 30-day, action-based money-back guarantee. Click the button below to schedule a call to get started today!
- Josh’s Website
- California Through My Lens on YouTube
- Through My Lens on YouTube
- California Through My Lens on Instagram
- Route 66 Road Trip: 14 Days Driving the Main Street of America
- Johnny and Iz Harris on YouTube
Where to Listen to The Videocraft Show
If you enjoy the show, subscribe to our email list. It’s the best way to stay up-to-date with The Videocraft Show and all the content we’re creating.
- Producer: Nikki Vicente
- Editors: Rex Estanislao, Shara Tecson
- Project Manager: Choco Arucan
- Graphics: Paolo Lopez